The Rotary Club of Kenton on Sea is a member of Rotary International which is an organization of service clubs (known as Rotary Clubs) located all over the world. It is a secular organization open to all persons regardless of race, color, creed or political preference. There are more than 32,000 clubs and over 1.2 million members world-wide. The members of Rotary Clubs are known as Rotarians. The stated purpose of the organization is to bring together business and professional leaders to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. Members usually meet weekly for breakfast, lunch or dinner, which is a social event as well as an opportunity to organize work on their service goals.
Rotary’s best-known motto is “Service above Self”, and its secondary motto is “They profit most who serve best”.
For more about Rotary International, why don’t you visit their page, too
The Rotary Club of Kenton on Sea meets:
WHERE: At the Dias Angling Club off Somerset Street, Kenton on Sea
WHEN: Every Tuesday
TIME: 17:00 for 17:30
CONTACT: President Peter Reed 060 97634238 or Colin Armstrong 083 320 6171
In the beginning, and as far back as November 2006, the Rotary Club of Port Alfred conducted a survey to investigate the viability of a new Club at Kenton on Sea, a number of their members being resident at Kenton. In January 2007, an Extension Sub-Committee was appointed, under the Chairmanship of Dave Slater. This led to a Rotary information evening on the 10 July 2008, to which all interested persons were invited. In August and September further meetings were held and on 24 September 2008, the inaugural Board meeting finally took place. The Rotary Club of Kenton on Sea was chartered by the Rotary Club of Port Alfred on 24 February 2009, with 33 Charter members. Charter President Bruce Steele-Gray received the Charter from District Governor Jaap Steyn at our Induction Dinner held on 4 April 2009.
Rotary International lays down Five Avenues of Service which are a philosophical and practical framework for the running of Clubs worldwide. These are:
- Club Service, involving actions a member should take within the Club to help it function successfully.
- Vocational Service which has the purpose of promoting high ethical standards in business and professions, recognising the worthiness of all dignified occupations, and fostering the ideal of service in the pursuit of all vocations. The role of members includes conducting themselves and their businesses in accordance with Rotary’s principles.
- Community Service comprises varied efforts that members make, sometimes in conjunction with others, to improve the quality of life of those who live within this Club’s locality.
- International Service comprises those activities that members do to advance international understanding, goodwill and peace by fostering acquaintance with people of other countries, their cultures, accomplishments, aspirations and problems through reading and correspondence and through co-operation in all club activities and projects designed to help people in other lands.
- Youth Service recognises the positive change implemented by youth and young adults through leadership development activities, involvement in community and international service projects, and exchange programs that enrich and foster world peace and cultural understanding.
This framework has been our guideline for establishing all our projects, listed elsewhere, bringing us to where we are today – a flourishing and enthusiastic Club of 41 members – the 3rd largest in District 9370.
2016 - 2017 Tony Swift
2015 - 2016 Mike Peter
2014 - 2015 Louis Hattingh
2013 - 2014 Stella Swanson
2012 - 2013 Colin Armstrong
2011 - 2012 Barrie Brown
2010 - 2011 Bridget Carthew
2008 - 2010 Bruce Steele-Gray
THE BOARD 2017 -18:
PRESIDENT PETER REED
PAST PRESIDENT TONY SWIFT
PRESIDENT ELECT SANDI PETER
SECRETARY COLIN ARMSTRONG
TREASURER TONY SWIFT
COMMUNITY SERVICE STEVE TREDOUX
MEMBERSHIP BRIDGET CARTHEW
CLUB ADMIN PIPPA STEELE-GRAY
YOUTH SERVICE SANDI PETER
PUBLIC IMAGE/ WEBSITE PIPPA STEELE-GRAY
FOUNDATION & INTERNATIONAL SERVICE MIKE PETER
VOCATIONAL SERVICE KEVIN BATES
SPECIAL DUTIES BRUCE STEELE-GRAY